My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://evolvingnewsroom.co.nz
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, July 14, 2008

Voicemail belongs in a museum

From the 'I'm glad it's not just me' files:

Howard Owens writes that voicemail is dead, get over it already:

"I’ve set up my work phone to forward to my iPhone. I never touch my desk phone except for conference calls.

"Unfortunately, if a call forwards to my iPhone, if I don’t get it by the third ring, for some odd reason, the call reverts to my desk phone. This leads to either A) people calling me twice (second time to my mobile number) or B) people leaving me a voice mail I probably won’t listen to for weeks.

"I felt guilt about that until I read this TechCrunch post.

"But now an increasing number of people are just plain avoiding voicemail (for my impromptu and unscientific survey, see the comments here, which are predominantly anti-voicemail). It takes much longer to listen to a message than read it. And voicemail is usually outside of our typical workflow, making it hard to forward or reply to easily.

“Outside the work flow …” That pretty much sums it up."

Couldn't agree more. Such a faff having to dial Vodafone to hear the message. Much easier if messages are texted or emailed - I can read them in a moment and respond immediately.

0 comments: